Friday, October 9, 2009

Quick and Easy Chickpeas and Rice

I often see bloggers say they somewhat enjoy when their husbands are not joining for them to dinner. They can experiment in the kitchen, without worrying if it doesn't work out, or that they can make something their husbands don't like. I love sitting down as a family eating dinner, so of course I'd much prefer that, but when I am going to cooking for 1 (and a half) I try to take advantage of it, too.

Last night though, I was looking more forward to sitting down, once the little guy went to bed, with a glass of wine, and watching this week's episode of America's Next Top Model on DVR (my guilty pleasure, a show Sage despises) than what I was going to make for dinner. So I just threw something together and wound up absolutely loving it. It really isn't much of recipe, but it was so yummy and comforting, I decided to post it anyways. The only thing that took any time at all was the rice, and if you prefer an instant rice, you could have this meal in about 20 minutes.

I could've sworn I'd bought zucchini, which I wanted to put in this- but they aren't in my refrigerator, so I guess I didn't. Onions, celery and mushrooms, in one combination or another, wind up in so much of what I make that I almost consider them a non-vegetable. So with my only other vegetable being carrots, I worried it would be lacking in the veggie department; it wasn't. The great thing about a dish like this, you could really make it with almost any veggies. Another wonderful thing about this, a small portion is very filling. I was going to have salad afterwards, but I was too full. I'm not on my own for dinner too often, luckily, but I'm pretty sure I have a new go-to for a quick and easy meal for myself that I can change up without whatever I have.
makes two small servings

1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
1 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped very small
1/2 small onion, choppped
3 oz. mushrooms, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 (16 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2-3 tbsp tamari
juice of 1/2 large lemon
fresh ground pepper
chopped parsley

Bring rice and water to boil in saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until done.

With about 15 minutes left of the rice's cooking time, heat oil in a skillet. Add celery, carrots and onion and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are softening. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes. Add chickpeas and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are done.

Add tamari and lemon juice and season with pepper. Fluff rice and stir into chickpea mixture. Serve topped with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment