Monday, January 18, 2010

Amazing Orange Muffins

When we bought our house nearly five years ago, the huge back yard was pretty much its biggest selling point. Not only was there plenty of room to add on, but after we did, we were still left with a giant yard. But what I wasn't so thrilled about, was that in that spacious yard sat two citrus trees. I had a clear vision of piles of rotting fruit all laying all over the ground, and of us trying to pawn off unwanted citrus off to any one who would come over.

But during the following winter, we discovered that wasn't going to be the case. The seemingly ordinary yellow grapefruit tree and the still-to-this-day unknown variety of small orange tree yielded the most delicious, juicy fruit. Sage became a juicing pro, and somewhere along the way our house special- a cocktail made of gin and a mix fresh squeezed orange and grapefuit juice- became something we, along with our friends, would look forward to all summer and fall long. I like to put our Gin & Juice in the same category as the Rueben Sandwich. How many people have you known who dislike pretty much everything in a Rueben, but together for them, it becomes a magical combination? People who hate both gin and grapefuits will begrudgingly try one and wind up loving it.

But since it wouldn't be wise to sit around and drink Gin & Juice all day, I try to find ways to incorporate the citrus into cooking and baking. Since my little one loves muffins and it had been a while since I'd made any, I tried to find a recipe that used fresh oranges but was without cranberries since I had none. I found an easy recipe that used a whole orange, peel and all, as well as juice. I made minor changes, such as replacing some of the all-purpose flour with wheat, because I don't typically like muffins made of all white flour, and subbed brown sugar for the white- again, personal taste preference. I also added a little vanilla and cooked them a couple minutes less.

These may just be the best muffin I've ever made. I knew when I sampled the batter- nearly whipped in consitstency and sweet but not sugary-that they were going to be a winner. These are absolutely delicious, moist and flavorful on the inside, slightly crisp on the outside. They can be eaten plain, although I personally love them with cream cheese. You could also top them with butter or honey, and although its not my family's style, I'd guess they'd be good with a glaze or frosting. Now I know not everyone has a magical orange tree in their back yard, but I'm sure any juicy, in- season oranges would work.

adapted from RecipeZaar, makes 12 muffins
1 medium sized orange, well washed
1/2 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
1 large egg
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease non-stick muffin tin.

Slice the orange into quarters and using a paring knife remove the small section containing the seeds. With peel intact, place the orange quarters into a food processor along with the half cup of juice. Process until pureed. Add egg, butter and extract and process until combined. Pour into large bowl.

Mix remaining ingredients together in a seperate bowl. Add all at once to orange mixture and stir to combine.

Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 18 minutes. Let muffins remain in tin for 5 minutes before removing.

No comments:

Post a Comment