
I love trying new things, so this was a fun dish for me. Not only did I make gnocchi for the the first time, but this was our first experience with morel mushrooms. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find them. I knew my regular grocery store carried them dried, but in the past all I'd seen was the spot on the shelf where they were supposed to go. Just in case, I researched for a substitute, and it seemed that chanterelles would be the next best thing. As it turned out, they had one package of morels (with a hefty $14.99/oz. price tag.) I did question for a moment spending that on mushrooms, but ultimately decided to go for it.
While I did stick with the morels, I made some changes to this recipe, mostly an attempt to healthify it a tiny bit. The picture in Live To Cook shows these gnocchi, morels and peas drowning in a sea of bubbling brown butter. There was no way I could use an entire stick of butter in this. I used 4 tablespoons worth, and I'm sure this is a sacrilege, I used a light butter substitute for 2 of those. Then I added a little vegetable stock at the end to help make the sauce. Other changes I made were reducing the parmesan in the dough, using frozen peas instead of shelled fresh, and the substituting of dried morels over fresh.
Despite my changes, this was pretty outstanding! I already love the flavor combinations of lemon and parsley, and parmesan with peas, so added along with the morels and sauteed gnocchi, how could it not be great? And gnocchi made of ricotta- so much better, in my opinion, than potato gnocchi, which I find so heavy and filling.
Crispy Gnocchi with Morels and Spring Peas
adapted from Michael Symon's, Live To Cook
For the gnocchi:
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Zest of one lemon
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup whole-milk ricotta, drained overnight or at least several hours
1 large egg
For the sauce:
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 oz. dried morel mushrooms (reconstituted according to package directions, rinsed and gently patted dry)
1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
kosher salt
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/4 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup frozen peas, partially thawed
1/4 cup vegetable stock
1/3 cup grated parmesan
To make the dough:
Combine the flour, parmesan, lemon zest, and salt in a bowl. Add drained ricotta and egg. Mix with hands until the dough just comes together. (Overworking with cause the dough to toughen.) Scrape dough into a well floured-surface, and pat into rough square. Using a knife, cut the dough into thirds and then gently roll piece into foot-long ropes, flouring as needed. Place dough ropes on a floured plate and refrigerate for 5 minutes and up to 2 hours. After dough has rested, return the ropes to a floured surface. Cut each rope into 1/2 inch pieces, and set aside while you make the sauce.
To make the sauce:
Put 2 tbsp butter into a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. When the butter foams, add the mores and saute for 2 minutes. Add shallot and saute, seasoning with a pinch salt. Add garlic and parsley, then reduce heat to medium. Add the lemon juice and peas, and saute for a minute or two. Turn off heat and set aside.
Heat remaining 2 tbsp butter over medium-high heat in a saute pan large enough to accommodate gnocchi without crowding (I used a non-stick pan.) When the butter becomes brown and fragrant, add the gnocchi to the pan and cook, turning as needed, until crisp and browned on all sides, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Pour the morel and pea sauce over the gnocchi, turning to coat. Add vegetable stock and parmesan, and gently toss. Spoon into shallow bowl and serve immediately.
You've made an altogether lovely dish and the changes you made to the recipe are great. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious! I agree, I really liked the ricotta gnocci so much more than potato. They were less filling, and SO much easier to make!
ReplyDeleteI made so many healthifying changes to mine too! I love your dish, it looks fantastic. I'm pretty sure Symon would shudder at the thought of our dishes but WHATEVER they tasted awesome!
ReplyDeleteWow, I'm impressed. You even made your own gnocchi! I have yet to do that. I think my first go around will be good quality store bought but I must try the crispy version!
ReplyDelete