I only tinkered slightly with the marinade ingredients, but I had an issue with the length of time to marinate, as originally written. It called for the fish to be marinated for at least 4 hours or overnight. Now (and please enlighten me if I am wrong here,) it's always been my understanding fish doesn't need to marinate very long, unlike say, beef. And I've always heard that when there is citrus in the marinade, you shouldn't do it for longer than about 30 minutes, as it will actually began to break down and cook the fish. I went with my very reduced amount of time to marinate, and it came out perfect, so full of flavor. With one of our family's favorite side dishes, roasted broccoli, and jasmine rice for Sage and Beckett, this was a dinner we all thoroughly enjoyed.
Ginger Soy Marinated Mahi Mahi
adapted from Food.com
1- 1 1/2 lbs. wild-caught Mahi Mahi filets
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey
juice from half of a lime
3 tbsp Tamari (or regular soy sauce)
1 tbsp dry red wine
1/8 tsp cayenne (or more if you want it spicy)
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
Combine all ingredients besides fish fillets in a resealable container large enough to hold fish. (You could also use a zip-lock baggie, but I am trying to be less wasteful.) Add fish and turn to coat well. Spoon some extra marinade over the top, cover tightly and place in the refrigerator. Marinate for 30 minutes.
On a grill preheated to medium-high, grill fillets for about 6-7 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily, making sure not to overcook.
This looks so tasty. I wonder if I can make it with other types of fish since we do not have mahi-mahi here in Greece.
ReplyDeleteYeah I agree with you on the citrus thing...I mean that's the whole thought behind a ceviche right? I love mahi mahi and this marinade! Way to branch out.
ReplyDeleteThis looks fabulous! I'm trying to eat more fish these days so I appreciate finding a new and delicious fish recipe. Your tacos look pretty amazing too!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous meal. We are trying to eat more fish here and your recipe is a great way to start. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a great grilled fish. I dont know what mahi mah is but m sure the marinade wld go well with so many fish. Ginger and soy a a great combo.What an adorable family you are :))
ReplyDeleteI love this mixture of flavors. Very similar to some tofu I just made...next time I need to throw some ginger in there.
ReplyDelete