How I wish I could say I made this fall sounding dish because we were experiencing some lovely, crisp Autumn weather. But with highs still reaching the low nineties (and humidity that makes it feel even hotter), we are no where close. Regardless of weather or season, chili is often my go-to when I am low on perishable items but still have a relatively well stocked pantry and freezer, as was the case yesterday. As I was digging around to see what might make its way into this batch, I came across some frozen pumpkin puree. Remember that canned pumpkin shortage from last year? Well, when I finally found some- the big cans- I bought quite a few of them. Naturally, the next week, the shortage was apparently over. Many months later, when I finally used a portion of the last can, I froze the rest, and forgot about it. Digging it out from under a pile of rices and beans, I recalled various Pumpkin Chili recipes from last fall. I first saw it on Cara's Cravings and was very intrigued, but somehow had never got around to giving it a try.
My take, a meatless version made in the slow cooker, came out wonderful. I purposely didn't tell Sage what the "secret ingredient" was until he was halfway through. Although he hadn't been able to guess, he nodded slowly, wisely, as if it had been on the tip of his tongue all along. The pumpkin doesn't add an obvious pumpkin taste, but it does add a certain something, in terms of texture and another layer of flavor. This was a hit, and I will definitely be adding pumpkin to my chili again.
Pumpkin Black Bean Chili
inspired by Cara's Turkey Pumpkin Chili
1 medium onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
1 (15.5 oz) can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 oz) can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 cup frozen corn kernels
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Stir well, cover, and cook on low for 5-6 hours (or high for about hours).
Garnish with your favorite chili accompaniments- sour cream/greek yogurt, cilantro, shredded cheese, etc. (I would've loved to have topped mine with sharp cheddar, but I used it all in a cheddar jalapeno cornbread that wasn't quite a success. Next time!)
Haha I totally stocked up on pumpkin last year as well when I heard about the "shortage". Which was silly considering that my Whole Foods had absolutely zero remnants of a shortage anywhere. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteThis chili looks fantastic! I spent a lot of time last year looking for a good pumpkin chili recipe...I'll have to try this one!
What a nice recipe! I live in an area that did experience the pumpkin shortage last year. Call me a hoarder if you must but I apologize to no one for the stash on my pantry shelf today :-).Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteIsn't pumpkin in chili the best?! I won't make it any other way now! Your vegetarian version sounds awesome :)
ReplyDeleteI need to add this to the list! I printed out the quinoa and butternut squash one last week and have run out of time....
ReplyDelete