Sunday, March 13, 2011

Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas


Looking for a way to enjoy the beautiful weather we were having today, my family and I hit a local festival, where we wound up having way more fun than we anticipated.  There were all the typical things you'd find at those types of events- live music, craft vendors, bounce houses, kiddie rides and rock climbing walls . And of course, lots of very bad for your food. I am always able to resist the all the fried foods, but I will confess to indulging in some ice cream, a lemonade and a snow cone. (Don't judge me. It ended up being a pretty hot day and I'm very pregnant.) Oh yeah, and some kettle corn. (That had nothing to do with the heat- it just happens to be Sage's weakness and it's hard not to eat when it's there.)

After all those empty calories, I was craving something healthy when I got home. This was one of those make-it-up-as-you-go types of meals. One I knew we'd enjoy, simply because it contained stuff we like, but not necessarily a dish I expected anyone to get too excited about.  But we loved it. Full of flavor, but also full of good for you stuff like quinoa and chickpeas, it completely negates all the junk I consumed today. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.



Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Chickpeas
serves 3-4, as a meal

for the vinaigrette:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp dried oregano
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

2 medium zucchini, in large dice
1 cup mini sweet peppers, sliced into rings (or a medium sweet bell pepper, chopped)
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups vegetable stock (or water)
1 (15.5 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup crumbled feta

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients, seasoning with a pinch or two of salt and several grinds of pepper. Add zucchini, pepper rings and onion to the bowl and toss to coat. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a baking sheet, reserving leftover vinaigrette. Roast vegetables for about 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring halfway through cooking time.

Meanwhile, bring quinoa and stock/water to boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes or until stock is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff.

Add the chickpeas to bowl with vinaigrette. Add quinoa and roasted vegetables (with any liquids from baking sheet) and gently toss. Add feta and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve warm/room temperature.

8 comments:

  1. It is perfectly ok once in a while to indulge yourself to some 'bad' food. TIt is part of having fun. I am sure this salad 'cleaned' your system from everything you've eaten in that festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and easy. How I love it! And no judgement here. I had that crappy gyro at the seafood fest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for braving a festival at this point in your pregnancy!
    Salad looks great. You definitely inspire me to try more meatless meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ease with which this can be made. It looks wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! what a delicious and healthy mix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all these roasted veggies, what's NOT to love! And I think you deserved that ice cream. And sno cone. and lemonade. Festivals only come once a year, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I love this! I always have to indulge in ice cream on a hot day and then maybe some lemonade too :-) This recipe is so great. You and I have such similar tastes! I think I have bookmarked almost every single one of your recipes (including this one)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your blog and this looks right up my alley with quinoa, chickpeas and roasted veggies.. yum!

    ReplyDelete