Friday, April 29, 2011

Lentil Marinara

I made this recipe a couple weeks ago. Since then, I've considered several different ways to write this blog post, but was never really feeling what I was coming up with, and it got pushed aside.

One evening, I realized that if I hurried, I could probably sneak in making a decent meal before the baby woke up. Needing quick inspiration, I opened my reader up and literally picked the first thing from my bookmarked list: a lentil marinara.

Which I then made. And loved. And then completely couldn't come up with how I wanted to share it with you. So two weeks passed, and I realized I needed to just go ahead and post the recipe, because I didn't want to forget how much I enjoyed it.

I love lentils and I love pasta, so I assumed I'd like this (and really, I picked it that night because it was easy and I had everything on hand), but it was way more delicious than I expected and a nice change from your standard spaghetti.

Lentil Marinara
adapted from Branny Boils Over
serves 5-6

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) can of peeled plum tomatoes in tomato juice (snipped using kitchen sheers)
3 oz tomato paste
1 cup of green or brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
1/2 cup red wine
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, or to taste
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
hot cooked pasta of choice (I used about 10 oz. of whole wheat spaghetti)
basil chiffonade and freshly grated parmesan, for serving

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for another minute.

Add canned tomatoes, paste, lentils, red wine and dried seasonings. Stir well. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.

Stir in balsamic vinegar. Taste and adjust salt if needed. Serve over cooked pasta, topping with basil and parmesan, as desired.



7 comments:

  1. I bookmarked this recipe, too. Glad to hear you liked it!

    I agree that sometimes I would just rather post a recipe without fighting over the words... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! what a great use of lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fabulous photo and a great recipe for those trying to cut back on meat. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lentils are my current favorite ground meat substitute (and honestly...I think they're way tastier than meat any day) and so this is SO bookmarked!

    I think sometimes it's harder to write about the food we love the most, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great!!! I love the idea of lentils in place of the meat. I am definitely saving this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How unusual! I have never thought of putting together lentils and spaghetti although we do make lentils and rice. I think I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo yum, this would be perfect for my detox! I can just use some soba noodles. My stomach is growling.

    ReplyDelete