Sunday, May 22, 2011
Tomato and Basil Pasta with Goat Cheese
Sometimes simple really is best. My original plans had been for grilled pizza with a pesto sauce, but as it reached the time to get dinner started, I found myself lacking in motivation. The idea of hauling out both the mixer, for the dough, and the food processor, for the pesto, suddenly seemed much less appealing than hanging out on the back deck in the sunshine and drinking a cold beer.
I remembered a recipe I'd torn out of Living magazine last summer, that was simply hot pasta tossed in a garlicy olive oil, with hand-torn tomatoes, soft cheese and basil leaves scattered on top. It's no more difficult than boiling water, but in its simplicity, the handful of fresh ingredients get their chance to really shine. The recipe originally calls for burrata cheese or fresh mozzarella, but I thought my use of goat cheese instead was perfect. I was lucky enough to have pretty decent tomatoes, but I know this would be even more awesome later this summer when they at their peak.
Tomato and Basil Pasta with Goat Cheese
adapted from Living, August 2010
serves 2-4, depending on portion size (We had ours along with chicken sausage on the side)
4 cups uncooked short pasta (I used multigrain rotini)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 fat cloves garlic, pressed
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
2 medium-large ripe tomatoes
2 oz goat cheese
1/2 cup small basil leaves or if large, cut into ribbons or torn
Cook pasta in salted water, according to package directions. While pasta cooks, mix together oil and garlic in a measuring cup. Add about 1/4 teaspoon salt and several good grinds of pepper and set aside. Over a medium bowl, tear tomatoes into pieces using your hands, catching juices. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside.
When pasta is finished cooking, drain well and transfer to serving bowl. Pour garlic and oil mixture over top and toss to combine. Scatter tomatoes over pasta, crumble goat cheese and top with basil. Finish with additional freshly ground pepper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Simple is definitely best, this pasta dish looks perfect for spring and summer. Fresh tomatoes, basil and goat cheese sound wonderful together with garlicky olive oil.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous spring pasta. The colors are wonderful and with such fabulous ingredients I know it must also be delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteoh delicious! I love the combination of these flavors! this would be a perfect lunch to pack-up for the week!
ReplyDeleteI wish I saw this before I made dinner tonight! This looks so delicious
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly the kind of meal I look forward to during the summer! Fresh tomatoes, delicious goat cheese and of course pasta! Love this.
ReplyDeleteDelicious flavors Tasha. I love pasta cooked this way and thank you very much for your kind words!
ReplyDeleteAh I just love goat cheese...I hate cream cheese but goat cheese is a whole other thing :-)
ReplyDeleteThis look wonderful and so perfect for summer.
This looks divine.
ReplyDelete