We aren't even technically into summer yet, and already I got myself into a little rut. This time of year I tend to expect dinner to come from the grill nearly every night, and our meals become super simple. In the past few weeks, we've had the same dinner of grilled corn on the cob and portabello burgers with Amish farmer's cheese quite a few times. A meal we've thoroughly enjoyed each and every time, but I don't care to fix the same thing over and over. I automatically bought portabello mushrooms again this week, but decided I ought to do something different with them this time. Leafing through my folder of recipes torn from magazines, I came across a white bean stuffed portabello that I knew the three of us would all like.
I adapted the original recipe a bit, mostly just to simplify. The end result was a very tasty meal that although didn't come from the grill, fits my summertime criteria of simple and easy. An extremely adaptable recipe, you could swap out the feta for parmesan or goat cheese, use whatever fresh herbs you have on hand, or even add in sun-dried tomatoes and/or fresh spinach- both which I think would be awesome additions. Since the oven was already on, I kept it easy, and just roasted a pan of broccoli along with the mushrooms. A simple salad and a glass of crisp wine would also be the perfect accompaniments to this light, yet filling meal.
White Bean Stuffed Portabellos
adapted from Everyday Food, October 2010
serves 4
4 large portabello mushrooms, cleaned and stems discarded
2 tsps olive oil, divided
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 (15.5 oz) can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup crumbled feta
3-4 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
olive oil mister
Preheat oven to 400. Place mushrooms, stem side down, on rimmed baking sheet. Brush caps with 1 teaspoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
Roast mushrooms until tender and beginning to release their juices, about 15 minutes. Drain juices from pan. Flip mushrooms over. Turn the broiler on.
Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining teaspoon of oil. Add green onion and garlic, and cook for 1 minutes. Add the beans and water and some salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost evaporated, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the parsley and use the back of a wooden spoon to mash the beans.
Top each mushroom with 1/4 of the bean mixture. Sprinkle each one one with a tablespoon of feta, pressing it into the bean mixture. Top with about a tablespoon of panko, pressing gently to help adhere. Lightly mist crumbs with olive oil.
Return mushrooms to oven and broil for a few minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve immediatley.

oh wow! I've never seen anything like this - looks great!
ReplyDeleteI grill portabellos but I've never been this creative. This dish looks amazing and I'm sure it is delicious. I hope you've had a great day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteHi Tasha, I have never eaten anything like this so I am quite curious about the taste. All ingredients are in great harmony. I mean mushrooms, feta, parsley and olive oil. You simply can't do wrong. Best Regards.
ReplyDeleteI just LOVE portabella mushrooms and I have never seen one filled with beans. I absolutely love this idea. Whenever I replace meat with a mushroom I worry about the lack of protein and this totally fixes that for me. Great recipe, thank you for sharing this Tasha!
ReplyDeleteThis stuffing sounds amazing! I'm pretty sure you could put white beans on anything and I'd be super happy. Delicious!
ReplyDeleteThis looks wonderful! I love portobello mushrooms, and this would be a great way to serve them.
ReplyDeletethis looks so yummy!
ReplyDeleteThat's a delicious meatless recipe! Portabellos are so tasty and so filling!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally with you - summer is all about easy! This sounds like the perfect summer meal!
ReplyDeleteSo healthy and looks so good.
ReplyDeleteI have made many versions of this recently...thank you for the inspiration!!! I hope all is well with you and your family Tasha!
ReplyDeleteHi love! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I just wanted you to know that I have missed you and your posts!
ReplyDelete