
If you are looking for an easy-to-make appetizer for Thanksgiving, this chutney is perfect. It comes together in no time, can be made a day or two ahead and is delightful paired with cream cheese atop wheat crackers. It would also make a lovely hostess gift and could be served as a condiment with pork, ham or chicken.
I didn't notice the amount of sugar this originally called for until I'd already began making it. I wasn't thrilled with using all that sugar, but then I had a light bulb moment. I only buy jams and preserves that are sweetened with fruit juice, and I figured I could do the same, subbing the sugar and water with 100% apple juice, although I did add some honey and a touch of brown sugar. I also scaled this back (it makes a good bit) and used a Granny Smith Apple. You could use a sweeter apple if you prefer, however, I personally loved it for its tartness. For serving, you could fill a small serving bowl with cream cheese, and nestle the chutney in the center, but for an even easier presentation, you could just pour it right over a block of cream cheese, (you know, like that red-pepper-jelly-over-a-block-of-cream-cheese appetizer that is always surprisingly popular on an appetizer table). As for the crackers, I tried a few different types, and I can tell you to skip the fancier ones. This goes best with a simple cracker, such as the whole wheat Ritz ones I used.
Cranberry Apple Chutney
adapted from allrecipes.com
I used an 1/8 of a tsp of cloves in this. Next time, I will use a pinch or two, because it was just a little too much for my taste. Adjust it to your liking.
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
a pinch-1/8 tsp cloves (depending on your preference)
1/3 cup apple juice
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp dark brown sugar
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
a pinch-1/8 tsp cloves (depending on your preference)
1/3 cup apple juice
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp dark brown sugar
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until apple is tender and mixture has thickened. Cool completely.
Store in the refrigerator. Serve with cracker and cream cheese or as a condiment with pork, ham or chicken.

oh I love that color! Looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteThat looks just gorgeous. I love the idea of using it for a hostess gift!
ReplyDeleteI always lower the sugar when I make cranberry sauce but that's because I like it super tart! I love your natural sweeteners here. This chutney sounds glorious!
ReplyDeleteI love the way your chutney looks and sounds. The color is hypnotic. I hope you have had a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteWe do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Greece but I will sure include it in my Christmas table. Its color is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love that this is sugar free!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great holiday dish. I really like that it is sugar free. Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving
ReplyDelete