
Now that my refrigerator is free of any Thanksgiving leftovers, (which I'm certain would not yet be the case if we had hosted, as we have done for the past 5 years), I am ready to move on to some simple, fresh foods. Like this Sicilian Chickpea Spread I made from a recipe that I recently found in the monthly flyer from my natural foods store. A creamy hummus-like dip, it uses toasted pine nuts in the place of tahini and gets a boost of flavor from roasted red pepper and fresh basil. While I originally whipped it up for snack to go with with cut veggies and pita, I discovered it makes a pretty awesome addition to a sandwich.
When putting this together, I used slightly less pine nuts and olive oil than it called for, just to reduce the fat by a teeny bit, and found it completely not lacking with these adjustments. Because this was too easy of recipe and I needed to complicate it somehow, I roasted my own red pepper, but you could use a jarred one and have this made in about five minutes. This spread can be eaten immediately, but I think it's even better once it's had a chance to chill a while.Sicilian Chickpea Spread
adapted slightly from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers (as found in NGR's November 2010 Store Flyer)
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, toasted
1 (15.5 oz) can of chickpeas, drained
1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded
1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup packed basil leaves
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Place all ingredients in food processor, seasoning with a few pinches of salt and several grinds of pepper, and process for 2-3 minutes or until light and creamy. Taste and adjust salt and pepper, if needed. For best flavor, chill before serving.
This looks so good! I'm thinking about eating healthier right now, too, at least until the Christmas parties start!
ReplyDeleteOh, how I miss the Granary.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous spread and you've shared it with us just in time for the holidays. It sounds wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteI love bean spreads. They are just so versatile. I need to try this one!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great change from all this festive food. I will try it in the sandwich
ReplyDeleteI take to work.
Tasha, I cannot wait to try this. I absolutely love chick pea dips. And this photo is gorgeous.
ReplyDelete