
You know how when you are online shopping, and the site you are on is gracious enough to share with you other items "You might also like..." Only then its something not even remotely related and therefore not something you would like at all. Food blogs often have this little feature, and I am often amused by what the computer thinks are similar recipes. Like when it's a vegetable-laden risotto and it suggests you might also like banana nut bread. (Well, actually I would like both of those, but that's besides the point.)
Recently, I was reading a post on Cate's World Cooking that was about cupcakes, and I noticed the generated suggestion below it was for Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans. Now, I'm not really a sweets person or a fan of cupcakes, (so it's funny I clicked on that post at all,) but the sweet potatoes and black beans- that was up my alley. I didn't have the potatoes but I did have a butternut, and I find those interchangeable. I got all excited to have it for dinner that night...and then realized I was out of black beans.
As soon as my pantry was properly stocked with black beans once again, I made it, still opting for the substitution of butternut. I just loved the combination of lime, cilantro, roasted squash and beans. I chose to serve it over barley, and while I really liked the texture that they barley added, I do believe that next time I'll toss the barley with the rest of the salad and let it rest a little, just to soak up the flavors a bit. You could also skip the barley and stuff it into a whole wheat wrap or serve it over salad greens. Or of course, just eat it by itself. You might want to double it as well. With the barley, my version only made 2 dinner sized servings, and I'm pretty sure this would make great leftovers for lunch the next day.
Lime Cilantro Butternut Squash with Black Beans and Barley
adapted from Cate's World Cooking (originally from epicurious)
serves 2
1/2 cup pearl barley
1 1/2 cups water
5 cups peeled, seeded butternut squash in 3/4 inch dice (I got this from half of a 3.25 lb squash)
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
kosher salt
juice from 1 lime (about 3 1/2 tbsp)
zest from half of a lime
cayenne pepper, to taste
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Bring barley and water to boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until barley is tender and water is absorbed.
Meanwhile, toss butternut with 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and a couple pinches of salt. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until tender, flipping halfway through cooking time.
In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining oil, lime juice, zest, a pinch or two of cayenne pepper and another pinch or two of salt. Add cilantro and black beans and roasted squash. Toss gently. Let rest slightly and serve warm over barley. Alternately, add barley along with squash and beans.
Cracked wheat would be a good idea as well. I like the combo of squash and beans too. Plus it looks easy and straight forward. This is a great advantage if you return from work dead tired and you have to make something pronto.
ReplyDeleteOh what a delicious and healthy meal!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh I love this mixture with the butternut squash. I swear it's so versatile. I have everything but the black beans....or maybe I have some frozen. I need to check.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds delicious! Right up my alley...100% I think this will be making it's way into my lunch menu this weekend! Thank you for sharing :-)
ReplyDelete