Monday, November 8, 2010

Roasted Garlic & Cheddar Orzo with Chicken and Broccoli



The other day, I decided to browse the gazillion and one recipes bookmarked in my Google reader. Why I star all these fantastic recipes only to never look at them again, I'm not sure. It makes me sad to think of all the wonderful things I will never have time to try, so I'm going to make an effort to reduce the list by at least a few. I began jotting down a list of some of the ones I really want to make sure I get around to.

I came across one for Pasta with Roasted Garlic, White Cheddar & White Wine Sauce, which contained broccoli and chicken. I honestly have no recollection of reading it before, let alone starring it, but I assume I thought that it would appeal to my family because a) Beckett loves broccoli b) Sage loves chicken and c) I love pasta, garlic, cheese and wine. Now having made it, this is one recipe I wish hadn't sat in my reader. It was awesome. If you are looking for a super healthy meal, this isn't it. But hey, everything in moderation, right?

I did make some changes, leaving out the wine for one. Being pregnant, I don't have a problem with a small amount of wine being cooked down in a recipe, but I do have a problem with opening a bottle for 1/4 cup and not being able to polish off the remainder of that bottle :) While I had the penne the original recipe called for, I had a suspicion this would be delightful with orzo and it was. I debated leaving out the chicken, but that would've definitely been a mistake- the chicken really complimented the other components. I used some I had on hand from a whole chicken I roasted for Sage's lunches, but you could easily use rotisserie chicken or just cook up a breast.

Now I only have a gazillion recipes waiting for me to try.

Roasted Garlic & Cheddar Orzo with Chicken and Broccoli
adapted from Annie's Eats, originally from Good Things Catered
serves 2
The only part of this meal that takes much time is the roasting of the head of garlic. If you do this step ahead of time, the rest comes together quite quickly.

1 medium sized head of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 cup uncooked orzo
1 large head of broccoli, cut into small florets (about 5 cups)
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp margarine or butter
1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
1 tbsp flour
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped cooked chicken (I used white and dark meat)

Remove the outer papery skins from the head of garlic. Trim off a little from the top of the head, so that all of the cloves are partially exposed. Drizzle with a little olive oil, wrap in foil and roast at 375 for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Squeeze garlic cloves from skins and mash with a fork to make garlic paste. (This step can be done ahead.)

Cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions, taking care not to overcook. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute broccoli for 10-12 minutes, or until tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Using a slotted spoon, remove broccoli and set aside.

Add butter to pan. Once melted, add garlic paste and bell pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until flour mixture turns golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Pour in broth and stirring frequently simmer until slightly thickened, another couple minutes. Add cheese, stir until smooth and allow to thicken slightly.

Mix in broccoli and chicken, and cook until just heated through. Add cooked pasta and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve warm.

7 comments:

  1. I have that same problem - I have so many recipes bookmarked, but then I never make them. This is inspiring me to go through those bookmarks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, have hundreds of recipes in my waiting list. I have to start doing something with those. This one looks like a great comforting meal. I love broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this looks so good. I love orzo but for some reason I never cook it. I am the SAME way. I have paper folders, computer folders, a list on my iphone, a binder and who knows what else full of recipes I want to try. I come to the realization that I just have to go by what I have on hand and then try and find one that fits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's not talk about my bookmarked recipes list. It makes me vaguely nauseous.

    In the scheme of things, I think this looks pretty healthy! So many different colored veggies and so full of flavor! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a colorful dish! It looks delicious and I can't wait to give it a try. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great. I'll bookmark it -- and hopefully try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh we love orzos here and this looks like the perfect use for them!

    ReplyDelete