Saturday, March 19, 2011

Creamy Pasta Salad with Tofu and Sunflower Seeds


So guess who didn't still expect to be playing around in the kitchen, let alone blogging. That would be me. My due date has come and gone and I'm still playing the waiting game. But that just means I get to share another recipe with you.

I've noticed that while I've gotten a lot more comfortable using tofu, mostly everything I make with it has an Asian influence to it. Which is all well and good, but I wanted to make something different this time. I decided to browse my blog reader for inspiration and discovered a cold pasta salad with tofu on The Pink Apron. I just love pasta salads, and since it's already getting quite warm where I live, it sounded wonderful!

I definitely used that recipe as inspiration rather than following it, but I was very pleased with the outcome. My family and I really enjoyed this, and the addition of tofu was actually a big hit. The pressing, marinating and baking steps keep this from being a quick-to-throw-together type of salad, but it was worth it, since my former tofu haters both loved the tofu in it. Plus the extra time in the kitchen is a good way to keep yourself occupied...like when you are waiting for big things to start happening.


Creamy Pasta Salad with Tofu and Sunflower Seeds
inspired by The Pink Apron's Honey Mustard Cashew & Tofu Pasta Salad (adapted from Penzey's)

1/4 cup dijon mustard, divided
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp canola or olive oil (I used a blend of the two)
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1 (16 oz) pkg of extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into small cubes
10 oz pasta of choice (about 4 cups) -I used a multi grain farfalle 
1 good sized broccoli crown, cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
1/4 cup light mayo -I used the kind with olive oil
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp parsley flakes
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks or shredded
1/4 cup sunflower seeds

Combine 3 tablespoons of dijon, honey, rice vinegar and oil in a resealable container. Season with pepper. Add tofu and toss to coat. Marinate for at least an hour.

Transfer tofu on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray, leaving behind as much marinade as possible. Reserve and refrigerate remaining marinade. Bake tofu in oven preheated to 350 for about 25 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and let cool.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, adding broccoli during the very last minute of cook time. Immediately drain and rinse with cold water.

To reserved marinade, stir in remaining tbsp of dijon, along with the mayo, sour cream, garlic and onion powders, dill and parsley to make dressing. 

In a large bowl, toss cooled pasta and broccoli with red pepper, carrots, tofu and dressing. Adjust salt and pepper if needed. Chill for at least an hour. Prior to serving, add sunflower seeds. (If salad seems a little dry after chilling, you can drizzle with a touch of olive oil.)

11 comments:

  1. The tofu looks crispy (browned). Is it? I like well baked tofu, and I always have a hard time getting it there. I'm sure I've vented about this before on here. LOL.

    Come on little baby... come out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think Asian when I think tofu, but you've set the record straight with this dish that tofu can definitely be eaten in just about any flavor context! Delicious.

    I would recommend (a) drinking a beer, (b) climbing lots of steps, (c) eating spicy food, (d) fooling around with your husband. Not from personal experience. Just old wives tales that I've heard :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought to combine tofu with pasta but this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like tofu in Asian dishes the best too! I hope your little baby makes an appearance soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tofu and pasta is a very unique combination. your salads are always an inspiration Tasha. I hope you will deliver really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I remember that waiting game. It is so hard! Still, it shouldn't be long now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so healthy and delicious! I love the bright colours :)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah! I've tried to post a message three times. I'll cross my fingers for you and I want to try this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazingly good. It really is an interesting way to use tofu. I hope all is well. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like just yesterday that I was playing that waiting game - I hope your little one is here!! This dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope everything is going well Tasha, you haven't posted in awhile sooooo I am assuming your little one made an appearance :-) YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete