
We've started a new tradition in our house. Saturday mornings are now spent in the kitchen baking, just my three year old and I. He has so much fun helping with the measuring and stirring, plus it gets him special one-on-one time with me. And I really enjoy sharing with Beckett this hobby I've only recently come to love myself. It's crazy to me that I used to not even like to bake only a couple years ago, and now I keep five different types of flour on hand.
Currently my favorite flour to bake with is spelt. I wanted to give making scones a try, and set out to find a spelt scone recipe. The one I found was originally for raspberry scones, but I altered it slightly to include blueberries and lemon juice and zest. These were so wonderful and fluffy, and I thought the accent of lemon flavor really made these. Sweetened by agave, they are just lightly sweet.
This recipe called for scooping the batter in individual mounds, as opposed to shaping it into a large round and cutting into triangles. Since this was my first time making scones, I just went ahead with the method they instructed. The directions said to scoop 12 mounds of 1/3 cup each. Mine were slightly less than 1/3 cup and I only got 8. Since my alterations shouldn't have affected the amount of dough in any way, I'm not sure why I got less, but having less scones at my disposal is probably a good thing. Especially ones as fantastic as these were.
Blueberry-Lemon Spelt Scones
adapted from Food & Wine, Erin McKenna
yields 8 scones
2 cups spelt flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil, plus extra for brushing (I use a canola and olive oil blend)
1/3 cup agave
2 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup hot water
1 cup fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk the spelt with baking powder and salt. Next stir in the oil, agave, lemon juice and zest and vanilla. Stir in the hot water and then the blueberries.
Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop the batter into 8 mounds, placing them on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush the tops with oil.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Let the baking sheet cool completely on a cooling rack before removing scones.



What fantastic bonding time you have started with you son! The best part are these delicious scones!
ReplyDeleteI so feel like touching the scones, the picture is that real. Love the flavours in it
ReplyDeleteThat is a wonderful way for both of you to begin the weekend. Your scones are beautiful and I'm sure they are delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteThese are just gorgeous. We are totally on the same wave length too, I have some dried blueberries that are going to make their way into scones this weekend!
ReplyDeleteIt is so sweet that you bake with your son on the weekends, I am sure he will remember that for a long long time. My favorite memories of my Mom and Dad are of us cooking together :-)
I love that you bake with your son! Definite bonding time and it'll instill in him a love of good quality food! These scones look delicious and I adore that they have spelt flour in them!
ReplyDeleteThese look FAB-U-LOUS. Sorry I haven't been commenting...I am having weird probs with it so this is my way around it.
ReplyDeleteI have been doing a lot of eating under stress so these wouldn't last long at my house.
Dawn http://floridacoastalcooking.blogspot.com/
amazingly delicious..
ReplyDeletechanced upon your space while blog hopping..
fascinating space you have...nice recipes with great content..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite
Event: Letz Relishh Ice Creams
These look great. Blueberry and lemon work wonderfully together!
ReplyDeleteooh delicious! those scones look perfect!
ReplyDeleteSpelt is my favourite baking flour,especially for bread. I would love to try this recipe today but we only have frozen blueberries, do you think that will work?
ReplyDeleteMegi- I would think frozen berries should work here. Muffin recipes always say to add them unthawed, so that's what I'd try. You'll have to let me know how they come out with frozen. Hopefully just as wonderful as fresh!
ReplyDeleteThank you for replying so quickly Tasha. My daughter just went down for a nap and I am off to the kitchen to prepare these lovely scones, I already know she'll love them! I'll let you know how they turn out.
ReplyDeleteHi Tasha, these were an instant hit, they are not too sweet and very flavourful and it took me minutes to prepare. I used frozen blueberries, they worked beautifully and I used coconut oil instead of canola. Thank you!
ReplyDelete