I have a husband who loves chicken. Me? Not quite so much. I mean it's alright, but I think I ate so much of it for so long, that I became bored of it. There are just so many things I'd much rather eat instead. Things like fish, beans and tofu. But I'm pretty crazy about my husband, so from time to time, I try to find ways to prepare chicken that will keep him happy.
When I read Joanne's statement in regards to this recipe, saying how she doesn't even really like chicken, but loved this dish, well, it was enough convincing for me that this was a perfect one to try. That and it had butternut squash. Even if I didn't care for the chicken, there would be roasted squash to eat. But as it would be, I liked the chicken just as much as the accompanying vegetables.
I didn't have the sweet potatoes which were to be be roasted along with the butternut, so instead I used fingerling potatoes. Another change I had to make wasn't intentional. I had accidentally purchased chicken breast strips instead of breasts. But this just made for quicker cook time. I also reduced the amount of chipotle peppers from four to two. It still had plenty of spice to it, although not so much that Beckett couldn't eat it. I just served his with a big dollop of cooling greek yogurt (which actually complimented this meal wonderfully) and a glass of milk. But if your family is very heat sensitive, I'd suggest only using one.
I'm not sure if it was the two less peppers, or the fact I didn't mince them that finely, but I got a slightly chunky chipotle honey sauce instead of a paste. I just dipped my chicken into the sauce to coat and then once the chicken was placed on the vegetables, spooned the remainder over top of the chicken. It wound up seasoning the potatoes and squash as well, which tasted fantastic. And if you're not sold yet, besides being absolutely delicious, it cooks in one pan for easy clean up.
Spiced Chipotle Honey Chicken with Butternut Squash and Fingerling Potatoes
adapted from Melissa Clark's In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite, via Eats Well with Others
serves 4
1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 lbs), peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1.25 lb fingerling potatoes, larger ones halved or quartered
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1.25 lb chicken breast strips/tenders, rinsed and patted dry
chopped cilantro or basil, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400. Toss the squash and potatoes with 1 tablespoon of oil and spread onto roasting pan. Season with a few pinches salt and several grinds of pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, in a small bowl mix together the remaining tablespoon of oil, peppers, garlic, honey, vinegar, cumin, cinnamon and 1 1/4 tsp salt until they form a paste (or in my case, sauce).
Rub the paste all over chicken and place on top of squash and potatoes. (If your paste is not quite a paste, dip chicken into sauce, then spoon remaining sauce over chicken once it on the vegetables). Continue roasting until chicken is just cooked through, 10-15 minutes.
Serve garnished with cilantro or basil.


oh this looks great! my husband would love this dish!
ReplyDeleteHaha actually that is EXACTLY what my "paste" looked like! I'm so glad you made it and liked it! It really was good for a chicken dish (although I was really in it for the butternut squash and potatoes :P)
ReplyDeleteI saw this on Joanne's blog too and loved the look of it. Like Joanne, it's the butternut squash and potatoes that are tempting me!
ReplyDeleteOoo yum. I have fingerlings and butternut squash! And I love the smokey sweet glaze. I definitely need to try this one.
ReplyDeleteWow that vegetable mix looks amazing, I am definitely making those potatoes with the squash soon!
ReplyDeleteLove the side dish - what a great flavor combo. I love fingerling potatoes. I bet it would be great with sweet potatoes as well. YUM
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice looking one-dish meal! I drool over pretty much everything on Joanne's blog :)
ReplyDelete